Holding Back the Years

 Have you ever heard that song?  "Holding Back the Years" by: Simply Red, do you ever wonder what it's about or do you ever just think of the past when listening to the song.  Music has that power over us.  It's a source of joy & happiness, sorrow & sadness, memories & magic--of the past, present, & the future.  That's why there is so much music.  We have so many different genres, because like music, in life we have highs & lows and ups & downs.  We rely on music to bring us through it.  We also rely on music to tell stories, remind us of good times, & remember a familair face or a long lost & forgotten pserson or individual.  

I know when certain songs come on, depending on how old it is, I think of a person it reminds me of or a movie/tv show it appeared in.  I challenge my brain to think & look back.  Its crazy, the other night I was riding in the car with my significant other, him & I enjoying the music on the radio & random playlists.  The discussion of music sets us on a conversation path that eventually leads into us talking about our desire & atraction for one another.  Is that our desire & lust for each other after all this time, (almost 20 years knowing one another), or is it the music talking?  I cannot say for certain, but I will give as much credit as the music is due-which is ALOT!  Music is the soul of the life we walk through together.  Music has such a strong foundation in our family--we have singers, song writers, instrument players, & performers.  I count myself lucky that i've always had the joy & pleasure of growing up in a household that embraces everything from Jazz to Country and Blues to Heavy Metal.  I have grown up listening to everything & STILL listen to everything.  My musical playlists are so random & sometimes I just have to hear that one song, so I don't really tune into AM/FM radio anymore.  I'm on the satellite radio servie and utilize YouTube & Pandora.  What would I do without YouTube?  I don't know.  Sometimes I feel I was one of the 1sts to embrace YouTube as a useful source of information.  

The pros of music are endless, the cons are obvious-shows & concerts.  Alot of the music or artists I enjoy are expensive shows or I missed when they were in my area.  I wish there was an annual concert of all genres in 1 big show & all seats are a flat rate of $20 per person.  I think that's a great idea!  (lol)

How has music had an impact on your life?  What's your favorite artist/band?  Who would you want to see in concert in 2024? 2025? 2026?        

Comments